Frequently a vacuum cleaner hose gets clogged because you carelessly vacuumed up a small object, such as a toy for your children.
In general, we notice this because of a sudden drop in suction power. But the hose can also get clogged due to a buildup of dust, which eventually forms a plug.
Be careful even if your appliance continues to operate partially despite the plug, it is important to unclog it quickly because the vacuum cleaner could overheat and cause a fire.
How do I know if a vacuum cleaner hose is clogged?
Before handling the cordless vacuum cleaner, first, make sure it is turned off and unplugged to avoid accidents.
Remove the flexible hose if the model allows it. In general, it must be unscrewed with a flat screwdriver at the connection. Be careful not to lose the gasket, which is also there, and set it aside.
Then take a ball and slide it along the pipe: if it does not come out on the other side, it means that the pipe is well blocked. At the sound of the ball, you should know where the cap is.
If the model of your vacuum cleaner does not allow you to remove the hose, you can also insert a long stick into it: if it comes out covered with dust, it means that the hose is well clogged.
If you don’t like vacuum cleaners with hoses, and if you’re on a limited budget, you can go with this best vacuum cleaner under 200 dollars list.
How to unclog or clean a vacuum cleaner hose?
If you have successfully located the plug or the object blocking the pipe, you can press on this level to try to loosen it.
If this does not work, then you have several solutions for unclogging the pipe because it can be done simply with everyday objects.
You can, for example, use a broom handle, a ferret (a plumbing accessory that can be bought in DIY stores), a long wire (if you do not have one, you can also undo several metal hangers that you will attach) or a clean stick.
Make sure that the hose remains as straight as possible (the ideal is to carry out this operation in pairs) then introduce the tool you have chosen by raising and lowering it several times until complete evacuation of the plug.
Better not to use water or any other liquid intended to unclog the pipes, they are not designed for this use, and this could damage the hose of your vacuum cleaner.
What tools can I use to unclog my vacuum cleaner hose?
A blocked tube is often due to a lack of suction. It is also not easy to clean such a narrow pipe.
To remedy this, you can use:
- Switch off your vacuum cleaner and remove the suction hose.
- Insert the rod of the ferret into the mouth where the suction hose was engaged.
- Be attentive to feel the moment when the ferret meets the plug.
- Turn on the vacuum cleaner at this time while covering with one hand on the other side of the hose.
- The one opposite the ferret, to force the air sucked (therefore going towards your hand) to go to the side of the ferret.
- Make a few backs and forth movements to make sure the plug is gone.
- The price of a ferret varies from 15 to 60 USD depending on its length, which varies from 3 meters to 10 meters, it is found in DIY stores.
- If you do not have one on hand, unscrew 3 hangers and hang them together to form a long wire of 2 meters.
- Hook the end of your wire.
- Put the wire in the vacuum cleaner tube and go fishing with a cork!
A long stick
- Take a long stick and ask another person to keep the tube straight while you dislodge the cap;
- Move up and down.
If none of these techniques work, you can go there for more vacuum hose cleaning tips or call a specialist. The accumulation of dust for years can form a mass of dust as hard as a stone that you cannot remove on your own.
Note: To screw the sleeve onto the vacuum cleaner hose, simply unscrew it and vice versa. If you notice that your pipe is pierced, it is possible to replace it with a fluted model, but which has the same diameter as the sleeve.
Also, don’t forget to check the other end of the hose by unscrewing its sleeve. At the same time, you can clean the hose and attach the connecting piece to it properly. Once it’s done, you can put each item back in its place and presto!
Maintenance work completed!
We hope our easy-to-follow tips have helped and enlightened you on how to unclog, replace, and re-attach your vacuum cleaner hose. For more information, don’t hesitate to take a look at our site.
And of course, if you are looking for a cleaning machine for your household appliances, homeplix.com, the benchmark for quality products and review!