Water heaters have long been indispensable assistants to ensure comfort in homes. Typically, this kind of device has been running smoothly for several years, provided that hot water is used regularly. But, sometimes unforeseen situations arise that require draining liquid from it. It is best to consult a specialist on this matter by finding a contractor.
Reasons to drain the water heater can be the following:
- The fluid in the boiler is very stagnant due to prolonged non-use;
- The water heater should be drained due to the fact that its tank is made of copper which does not withstand liquid stagnation and corrodes;
- In the water heater, the heating element must be replaced.
It should also be borne in mind that the experts recommend that the boiler be emptied at least once a year. This will minimize the amount of calcareous deposits inside it.
By itself, this operation is not difficult, but for beginners, it often causes certain difficulties. Next, we will talk in detail about how to drain the water heater and not damage anything.
The General Algorithm for Draining Water from a Boiler
Regardless of which model the water heater is at your disposal, it makes sense to adhere to the following general algorithm of work to those who wonder how to drain a water heater:
- First of all, you need to disconnect the device from the power supply.
- Now, it will take some time for the fluid to cool. Work with hot water is strictly prohibited!
- Now you need to shut off the water supply to the boiler.
- Next, a valve opens to exit the hot fluid. This can be done on the consumer valve. For example, in the bathroom. You need to be patient, waiting until all the water has spilled from the tank.
- When the liquid spills out, the tap is not closed. This is necessary in order to ensure the supply of air into the water heater.
- Do the same with cold water. At the same time, it can be drained both through conventional mixers and through a drainage hose connected to the tank.
We emphasize once again that hot water cannot be drained from the boiler. The answer to the question of how to drain hot water heater will be to disconnect it from the power and wait until the fluid cools down and only then proceed to drain. In order not to be engaged in the job you are bad at consider finding a contractor who will cope with this task for sure.
How to Drain a Clogged Water Heater?
Please note that the heating element may scale over time. In this case, it is necessary to make the following manipulations to drain the clogged water heater:
- Drain the bulk of the liquid in the manner described above.
- Unscrew the decorative cover, which is located at the bottom of the tank.
- Holding the cover, disconnect the wiring of the warning lamp.
- Disconnect the electrical wires. To properly attach them back, you can photograph their original placement.
- Then, slowly, counterclockwise, unscrew the flange, which serves as a support for the heating element, at first simply loosening the nuts, and allowing the remaining liquid to gently drain from the tank, and then completely unscrewing.
- They take out the heating element slowly, being careful not to damage it and the tank.
If the described above makes you feel confused and lost consider finding a contractor who is able to accomplish the draining.
How to Drain a Gas Water Heater?
The drain of a gas boiler is made as follows:
- Close the gas shut-off valve and the water shut-off valve in front of the gas water heater;
- Open the hot water tap;
- Turn out the drain plug;
- In fact, drain the water;
- Wrap the stopper all the way and close the hot water tap.
To avoid unnecessary difficulties and troubles leave this job to a professional. You can achieve this by finding a contractor.
How to Drain a Rheem Water Heater?
If the Rheem water heater remains inoperative in a freezing room, and/or in case of prolonged downtime, it is necessary to drain liquid from it.
If necessary, the hybrid electric water heater is emptied in the following order:
- Disconnect the boiler from the power.
- Close the shut-off valve of the safety device or the water supply tap to water line;
- Open the faucet with hot water in the wash basin or bath;
- Open the tap on the safety device or tap on the tee.
It is always best to confide the problem solution to the expert in this area. It is applicable to the issue of the draining of the boilers. Finding a contractor will give you confidence in the successful accomplishment of the task.