If you have a rodent problem in your home, the first thought is to call your pest control sydney service provider. Whilst the professionals will take all measures to get rid of pests from your home and put measures in place to prevent further invasion, it is important for you to take certain steps to keep your home free of rats and mice.
This guide will equip you with useful and insightful information in this regard.
What Attracts Rodents to Houses?
In order to keep rodents away from your home, it is essential that you know what things draw them to your home in the first place. Here is a list of things that attract rodents to people’s dwellings:
- Food & water
- Nesting materials
Rodents typically prefer staying outdoors, but they can enter homes and set up nests when they can find plenty of food and water indoors. Rodent activity increases with approaching autumn and winter, as they seek shelter for the colder months. Besides being careful about things that attract these pests, it is important to take preventative measures to keep them out.
How to Keep Rodents Out of Your Home?
You may already have a rodent problem or you want to prevent an infestation. Whatever your situation with regards to a rodent problem, you should take preventative measures to keep these pests out of your home. The key areas you should address are as follows:
It is easy for you to forget about the food items that you store away. Make sure all the storage areas, including the cupboards, are well organised and checked:
- All dry food, bird seeds, and pet food should be stored in plastic, glass, or metal containers with strongly-holding lids.
- Avoid the use of cardboard boxes that could be readily accessed by rodents.
- All seasonal storage food items must be well sealed to prevent rodent nesting.
- Make sure all stored food items are raised off the ground.
Rodents need to find adequate food and shelter to be able to enter and live in your home. Sanitisation should help remove both these factors and this needs to be done both indoors and outdoors.
- All common crumb areas must be cleaned
- Avoid leaving out glasses of water overnight
- Countertops should be kept clear of food and regularly sanitised
- Remove all uneaten pet food at night
- Keep all areas of moisture clean
- Keep garbage cans covered and clean
- The lawns should be regularly mowed
- Clean up all dropped seeds around the bird feeders
- Trim all overgrown vegetation
- Remove all forms of debris from the outdoors
- Pick up any fruits that may have fallen from trees
- Store firewood and other items off the ground and away from your home
Repair or Plug Common Access Points
Whilst your rodent pest control service helps with pest elimination, you should also enquire if they can help with pest-proofing your home. Some of the steps to make your home free of rodents are as follows:
- All gaps and cracks in the walls, foundation, and basement should be repaired or plugged
- Holes around pipes leading to appliances must be caulked
- Cracks and gaps around doors and window frames must be sealed
- All the seals around the exterior lines should be tight
- All open insulation must be covered up to prevent rodents from nesting in there
If you are unable to take these steps, your pest control sydney service should assist you with them. It is best to gain as much knowledge about rodents before taking remedial and preventative measures.