Duct cleaning has become increasingly popular to properly clean out the vast amounts of dust accumulated in the ducts within the home. But is this type of furnace repair worth the cost and time? Depending on the dust accumulation in your home, it could be well worth getting done, but duct cleaning could also be an unnecessary venture to pay for in some situations. The Environmental Protection Agency in the United States has recommended homeowners should get their air ducts cleaned when necessary, instead of routinely. There are a few considerations to make before you decide to get the ducts in HVAC systems cleaned and some situations that call for it.
Here is everything you need to know about cleaning air ducts, how often it should be done, and how it can be easily achieved without strenuous efforts.
What is duct cleaning?
Duct cleaning usually refers to the various air systems within the home that have cooling and heating components installed (HVAC systems). These HVAC systems that can be cleaned include air handling units, dryers, grilles and diffusers, fan housing and fan motors. When these systems are installed and operating, they can easily accumulate dust particles and other forms of debris. If the contaminants that gather in these systems have moisture, then mould is liable to grow, ultimately impacting the home’s air quality. The growth from any mould can release contaminants that, in turn, will cause allergic reactions and increase susceptibility to other viruses.
In terms of dryer duct build-up, cleaning the duct should be cleaned out regularly so clothes can dry properly without obstruction and reduce fire hazards common among dryers. Because of these varied risks, many homeowners hire service providers to clean their cooling and heating systems properly.
How to decide when to clean the ducts
Because some personal and chronic conditions differ from home to home, keeping ducts routinely clean could benefit some homeowners while just becoming an unnecessary effort for others. If various people in your household suffer from allergies or are sensitive to dust, getting your ducts cleaned will be of use to you. If you notice someone in your household has an unexplained illness, check the dust build-up on the air systems within your home, as that could be the culprit. Cleaning your ducts might be necessary if you realize you have not cleaned them in years. Otherwise, it may not be required to get your ducts cleaned if no one within your household suffers from allergies or if you recently hired a service to clean them.
Situations that require duct cleaning
Although duct cleaning isn’t always necessary, certain situations where having your ducts and HVAC systems cleaned can be useful or required. Some of these situations include:
- Animal infestations: If there is evidence of animal infestation in your home and nesting within your HVAC systems, you should safely remove the animals and hire a service provider to clean up what they left behind.
- Mould: If there is visible evidence of mould growth inside the ducts of your HVAC systems, it should be cleaned immediately.
- Renovations: If your home has been recently renovated and the ventilation systems weren’t properly sealed during the remodelling process, you might want to consider getting your ducts cleaned. This will remove significant amounts of dust and lead paint to avoid any of these particles lodging in your HVAC systems resulting from the remodelling.
- Excessive dust: Excessive amounts of dust and other particles can build up over time. To rid your HVAC vents of dust build-up, cleaning them out using professional help can be helpful.
- Explicit illness: Symptoms of allergies can arise when the duct systems are particularly dirty or mouldy. Upon noticing these symptoms in your household, you should get the vents and HVAC system ducts in your home checked by professionals to see if they need to be cleaned or replaced.
Duct cleaning services
Professional duct cleaning services often utilize equipment when handling dusty ducts like specialized vacuums, blowers and brushes to clean any area that needs it properly. When hiring a duct cleaning service, you should do your research to find a reliable and secure company that won’t feed you misinformation to extend their services for more money. Duct cleaning service providers that have expertise in a wide array of fields, like installation of HVAC systems or furnace repairs, should also be knowledgeable in all things regarding duct cleaning.
What to expect from cleaning services
Upon hiring professional cleaning services, you should thoroughly inspect your systems to ensure there’s no asbestos before they arrive for everyone’s safety. Use any vacuum equipment on hand to exhaust the particles outside the home. Protect your duct systems as much as possible before the professionals get to work; this includes sealing any holes visible in the systems. After the cleaning services have completed their work, ask them to you each component of the system they just cleaned to ensure the work is satisfactory.
When you need plumbing and heating services in Calgary, turn to Western Canadian Furnace Company Ltd. From dealing with AC installation/repair, commercial duct cleaning, hot water tanks, drain cleaning and more – we are your go-to company when it comes to residential and commercial HVAC services in Calgary. With some of the most experienced technicians on hand, we use the most modern equipment to handle all your needs. Contact us at info@westcan4u or 403-531-6181.