Plumbing and drain problems can be a real headache for homeowners. Not only can they cause inconvenience and disruption, but they can also lead to significant damage to your property. By following some basic plumbing and drain maintenance tips and tricks, you can prevent problems from occurring and ensure your home’s plumbing and drain systems remain in excellent condition.
Regular maintenance is essential to prevent clogs, leaks, and other plumbing problems. Make sure to check for leaks, clean out drains, and inspect pipes on a regular basis. If you’re not sure where to start, call Toronto plumbers to do an inspection and identify any potential problems.
- Check on your garbage disposal unit, and make sure to clean as much as you can so to reduce/prevent future clogs
- Check for water pressure on all faucets, and fixtures as low water pressure may indicate clogs, or other deficiency
- Regular cleaning: Regularly cleaning your sinks, shower, and toilet can prevent clogs and remove any buildup.
- Grease disposal: Never pour grease down your sink or drain, as it can solidify and cause clogs. Instead, dispose of grease in a separate container and dispose of it properly.
- Water heater maintenance: Flushing your water heater annually can remove any sediment buildup and prolong the life of your water heater.
Regular inspection is key to preventing major issues with your plumbing and drain systems. A few things to keep an eye out for during inspection include:
- Slow draining water: If you notice that water is clogged or draining slowly in your sinks or shower, it may be a sign of a clog.
- Also regularly inspect your water heater couple times a week, to make sure optimal performance, and there are no deficiency
- Water stains or mold: Water stains or mold growth around your sinks, shower, or toilet could indicate a leak in your plumbing system.
- Unusual noises: Gurgling sounds in your drain or toilet could indicate a clog or a malfunctioning vent pipe.
- Inspect all of your pipes for any leaks, fractures, and if you do find any deficiency immediately shut off your water supply valve and call your local plumber near you
When it comes to repairs, it’s important to address any issues as soon as they arise. Some common plumbing and drain issues homeowners may face include:
- Leaks: Leaks can occur in various places in your plumbing system, including your faucets, pipes, and toilet. If left unaddressed, leaks can lead to water damage and mold growth.
- Clogs: Clogs can occur in your sinks, shower, or toilet and can be caused by various materials, including hair, soap scum, and grease. While there are DIY methods to try and clear clogs, it’s best to contact a professional if the issue persists.
- Low water pressure: Low water pressure can be caused by a clog, a malfunctioning valve, or even a water main break.
It is very wise and a good investment when homeowners, and business owners/managers heed the previously read advice. When our property is regularly maintained, inspected by ourselves or your local professional Toronto plumbers, and if we can successfully repair simple issues, we can maintain high efficiency of our plumbing/drain systems, and extend the lifespan saving us money, and time. In addition, here are some bonus advice for any homeowners interested in maximizing money savings:
Don’t Use Harsh Chemicals
Harsh chemicals can damage pipes and cause more harm than good. Instead of using chemical drain cleaners, try using natural methods such as baking soda and vinegar, bio drain cleaners, or a plunger to clear clogs.
Watch What Goes Down the Drain
It’s essential to be mindful of what goes down your drains. Avoid putting grease, oil, and other food scraps down the drain. Instead, dispose of them in the trash or compost. Also, avoid flushing anything other than toilet paper down the toilet. Always clean, and observe your drain screens always in your house. Here are some valuable tips related to drains:
- Use a plunger to clear minor clogs in the toilet or sink
- While toilet paper is acceptable to flush down, but you should also never flush feminine products, towel paper like bounty, or other large objects/garbage
- Have your sewer line inspected once or twice every few years to ensure it’s working properly
Install Drain Screens
Installing drain screens is an easy and effective way to prevent clogs. These screens can catch hair, food particles, and other debris that can cause clogs in your drains. Here are some areas where drain filters are necessary, shower, kitchen sink, basement floor drain, and etc.
Upgrade Your Fixtures
Upgrading your fixtures can not only improve the appearance of your home but also improve the efficiency of your plumbing system. Installing low-flow toilets and faucets can reduce water usage and save you money on your water bill.
By following these basic plumbing and drain maintenance tips and tricks, you can avoid many common plumbing problems and keep your home’s plumbing and drain systems in excellent condition. If you’re experiencing plumbing problems, don’t hesitate to call a professional plumber, or any local plumber or plumbers near you for prompt and reliable service.