Your home’s electrical panel is arguably one of the most important (and often overlooked) components of your entire property. It regulates electricity throughout your entire house, keeping systems such as lights, air conditioning, and appliances on and running day after day. But like any other piece of mechanical equipment, eventually, the electrical panel needs to be changed due to oldness or wear and tear.
Knowing when this time comes can help ensure that you don’t have any inconvenient surprises down the road – especially during the winter months when energy demands are at their highest! In this blog post, we’ll discuss how long electric panels typically last – including what signs should prompt you to consider a replacement – so you stay safe and up-to-date with all things electricity. Let’s get started!
1. How Long Do Electrical Panels Last?
The average lifespan of an electrical panel is about thirty years. However, depending on the type, usage frequency, and maintenance schedule, this figure can vary significantly. To ensure your home’s safety and efficiency, it’s important to have it inspected regularly by a certified electrician who can identify any emerging problems in electrical panels in Bellevue, WA before they become more serious issues.
2. What Are The Signs That the Electrical Panel May Need To Be Replaced?
Your electrical panel is a vital part of your home’s electrical system, so it’s important to know when you may need to replace it. 10 signs can indicate the need for an upgrade:
- The panel is outdated—older panels were designed to handle a much smaller load than modern homes require. If your panel is more than 15 years old, it may be time to upgrade.
- You notice flickering lights or dimming of lights and other devices in your home—this is often caused by a faulty breaker or power surge.
- Breakers trip frequently, even with normal usage—if this happens repeatedly, the circuit breakers may be worn out or overloaded.
- You hear buzzing, crackling, sizzling, or humming from the panel—this can be a sign of damage or malfunction.
- The panel is hot to the touch—overheating can cause serious damage and even fires.
- Your lights dim when you turn on an appliance—this could mean your electrical system is unable to handle the load required by certain appliances and devices in your home.
- Fuses blow frequently—frequent fuse replacement means that your electrical system may need upgrading to prevent further damage and hazards.
- You smell burning around your electrical panel—a burning odor near your panel indicates an overload or other problem.
- You notice sparks coming from your panel—sparks indicate a loose connection, which can cause damage and fires if not addressed.
- Your panel is overloaded—you may need an upgrade if you are using more than one two-prong outlet or have too many appliances plugged in at once.
If you’re experiencing any of these signs, it may be time to call an electrician to assess the situation and determine whether your electrical panel needs to be replaced. Never attempt to repair or replace a panel yourself; instead, leave it to the experts! Doing so will ensure that your home remains safe and secure while also saving you money in the long run. The best part is the experts assist with other services like a custom light installation in Bellevue, WA.
3. What Are The Benefits Of Upgrading To A New Electrical Panel?
Upgrading to a new electrical panel can offer many benefits, including improved safety and efficiency. It will also provide you with peace of mind knowing that your home is up-to-date on the latest advancements in technology and safe from potential hazards caused by an outdated system.
The newest models feature advanced circuit breakers that are designed to detect overloads or faults within the wiring before they become serious issues. They also come equipped with doors for easy access and maintenance, as well as other features like arc fault protection and surge protection devices to protect against any external power surges.
In addition, newer panels are much more energy efficient than older ones, meaning they will help reduce your monthly energy bills and can even qualify you for certain tax incentives.
By investing in a new panel or getting electrical services in Bellevue, WA such as custom light installation, you are ensuring that your home is up-to-date with the latest technology and provides a safe environment for your family. It’s an investment that pays off over time!
Now that you know when it may be time to replace your electrical panel and what benefits come with doing so, you’re one step closer to understanding how important it is to have a reliable system in place. If you suspect any issues with your current system, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced electrician who can assess the situation and provide a solution. Contact OutToday Plumbing, Heating & Electrical at (425) 615-5000 to learn more or book an appointment!